No carving involved! How wise is that? This step-by-step tutorial demonstrates how to make a 3D owl cake baked in a bowl, frosted with buttercream and decorated with modeling chocolate.
Tips: Half Sphere Cake Tutorial
- Half sphere cake, roughly crumb coated (crumb coat is optional) with buttercream
- Bittersweet, white, yellow, and orange, and red modeling chocolate
- Round cookie cutters
- Chocolate & vanilla buttercream
- Piping bag (I use the 18″ disposable kind)
- Large petal piping tip (such as #124 Wilton)
- Small offset spatula
- Star cookie cutter
1. Begin by rolling out the bittersweet, orange, and white modeling chocolate to 1/8” thickness for the owl eyes.
2. Using round cutters, cut circles of modeling chocolate in the above formation.
3. Roll the yellow modeling chocolate into a 1” diameter ball. Cut it in half to make to make two equal-sized eyeballs.
4. Place the small circles of bittersweet modeling chocolate on the center of the yellow eyeballs. Add tiny balls of white modeling chocolate off to the right then press them down to flatten and adhere them.
5. Stack the circles from biggest to smallest and so that they are offset like crossed eyes. Add the eyeballs to the middle, looking off to the right. Form a simple beak with more yellow modeling chocolate.
6. Put the eyes and beak on the cake and trace them into the surface of the crumb coat using a pointed implement. Remove the eyes and beak and set them aside for later. The traced marks will serve as a guide for the piped design.
To pipe gradations of color (feathers that are dark on one end and light on another), add two different colors of buttercream side-by-side to the piping bag.
9. To make the ears, cut one 2” wide circle of bittersweet rolled modeling chocolate. Cut it in half and bend each piece at a 45 degree angle. Place the flat side of each ear above the top outside corner of each eye. Pipe up the back of the ears with more buttercream feathers.
Sample the book
Cake Decorating with Modeling Chocolate
12. Lastly, add the eyes and beak to complete this owl cake design.
Smooth Buttercream Cake Frosting Recipes
New to Wicked Goodies? Start *HERE*
You might also enjoy
3D Fish Face Cake TutorialBaby Duck Cupcake Tutorial
Pig Cake Tutorial
3D Burger Cake Tutorial
Modeling Chocolate Tutorials
Good morning. Can you tell me what # piping tip you used for the feathers.
Me encanta tu trabajo gracias por los tutoriales estan de lujo