Step by Step Instructions
To make a 3D doll skirt cake, combine an 8” cylinder cake with an 8” half sphere cake. You can feed anywhere from 20-30 people depending on how tall you make the skirt. This cake fed 25 people.
- 8” diameter, 3-4” deep cylinder cake with cardboard round
- 8” diameter half sphere cake
- Vanilla buttercream
- Small offset spatula
1. Working atop a turntable, apply a thin crumb coat of vanilla buttercream to the cake using a small offset spatula. Once the surface is completely covered, slowly work the offset spatula from the bottom of the cake up to smooth the frosting.
2. Return the cake to the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes or until the crumb coat is hard.
3. Apply a second coat to the cake, concentrating the extra buttercream around the center of the skirt, the part that will show in the end. While the frosting is still soft, comb it with a fork.
Next: Part 2
Piping Buttercream Frills
New to Wicked Goodies? Start *HERE*