This chocolate caramel pecan cake filling, otherwise known as crunchy turtle filling, is especially rich and decadent for layer cakes. If you are comfortable making a caramel sauce at home, go ahead and do it from scratch.
Crunchy Turtle is Option #7 in the
Streamlined Layer Cake Filling Menu
Streamlined Cake Filling Method
This recipe is one of 11 cake filling flavors in a streamlined cake menu. All the variations are based on these two simple buttercream recipes that work beautifully both as fillings and frosting. A streamlined menu minimizes the amount of work required to make each cake, which is a terrific time-saver in the kitchen, especially for those who run a bakery business.
Chocolate Buttercream Cake Frosting & Filling
If you are new to making real caramel, note that it is a volatile sauce that requires precision and safety in the kitchen. Alternatively, you can use store-bought caramel sauce that is intended for ice cream. Make sure to toast the nuts as they will taste better that way.
– Chocolate cake layers
– Chocolate buttercream frosting
– Pecans, toasted and chopped
– Caramel sauce, homemade or store bought, at lukewarm temperature
1. Toast the pecans, allow them to cool, then chop them into granules.
2. Make caramel sauce and allow it to cool until it’s lukewarm. Alternatively, use store-bought caramel sauce (for ice cream) and warm it up until it’s lukewarm.
3. Layer chocolate cake topped with chocolate buttercream topped with toasted pecans and then drizzle the lukewarm caramel sauce on top. For best results, use this layer cake filling method. Continue with another slice of chocolate cake and more filling in the same order.
4. Wrap the filled cake within its pan entirely in plastic wrap.
5. Freeze or chill the cakes until cold. Follow this link to read more about my cake freezing method.
Below is an example of a Crunchy Turtle Cake made from an 8″ diameter cylinder cake + 8″ diameter half sphere cake, which together ended up being the skirt for a 3D princess doll cake.
Suggested Cake Filling Method
My preferred method for assembling layer cakes is to build them inside the baking pan. I recommend watching the videos and reading this entire tutorial on how to fill cakes in the pan.
New to Wicked Goodies? Start *HERE*