This summer fruit cake works with any combination of fruits.
I like the look of three or more contrasting colors. I usually only offer this item when the fruit is freshly picked and in season. To make it during the out-of-season months, I recommend using frozen fruit instead.
Summer Fruit is Option #3 in the
Streamlined Layer Cake Filling Menu
Streamlined Cake Filling Method
This recipe is one of 11 cake filling flavors in a streamlined cake menu. All the variations are based on these two simple buttercream recipes that work beautifully both as fillings and frosting. A streamlined menu minimizes the amount of work required to make each cake, which is a terrific time-saver in the kitchen, especially for those who run a bakery business.
Vanilla Buttercream Cake Frosting & Filling
– Your choice of yellow cake, white cake or pound cake layers
– Stable cream cheese filling
– Fresh whole blueberries, raspberries, and apricots
Note that my layer cake filling method involves freezing the cake, which slightly effects the texture of the fruit. Some of the cell walls inside fruit burst from the freeze/thaw expansion and contraction of liquid, which makes the fruit naturally go soft and juicy. When it comes to cake fillings, as long as the fruit is neighbored by a layer of cake sponge, the juices that are released from the fruit during the freeze-thaw will have somewhere to go. The sponge will gladly soak up the moisture and flavor. I often make and freeze cakes with fresh fruit inside, including the one in the above photo.
1. Wash and prepare the fruits by slicing and dicing the apricots.
3. Lay the fruit on top of each filling layer, avoiding the edges of the pan. Cover with another cake layer and repeat as needed.
4. Wrap the filled cake within its pan entirely in plastic wrap.
5. Freeze or chill the cakes until cold. Follow this link to read more about my cake freezing method.
Other Fruits That Man Be Used
Suggested Cake Filling Method
My preferred method for assembling layer cakes is to build them inside the baking pan. I recommend watching the videos and reading this entire tutorial on how to fill cakes in the pan.
New to Wicked Goodies? Start *HERE*