I make many varieties of hazelnut cake. Here is the easiest one, including chocolate buttercream and chopped hazelnuts.
Chocolate Hazelnut is Option #9 in the
Streamlined Layer Cake Filling Menu
Streamlined Cake Filling Method
This recipe is one of 11 cake filling flavors in a streamlined cake menu. All the variations are based on these two simple buttercream recipes that work beautifully both as fillings and frosting. A streamlined menu minimizes the amount of work required to make each cake, which is a terrific time-saver in the kitchen, especially for those who run a bakery business.
Chocolate Buttercream Cake Frosting & Filling Components
– Chocolate or vanilla cake layers
– Chocolate buttercream cake frosting
– Hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
– Nutella or chocolate ganache
1. Toast the whole hazelnuts, allow them to cool, then chop them into granules.
2. Build the cake layers in the pan using this layer cake filling method.
3. Create one filling layer of chocolate buttercream sprinkled with toasted chopped hazelnuts.
4. Create a second filling layer with Nutella. This layer should be thin. Repeat, alternating the layers as needed.
5. Wrap the filled cake within its pan entirely in plastic wrap.
6. Freeze or chill the cakes until cold. Follow this link to learn more about my cake freezing method.
The cake shown above was enrobed in chocolate glaze, rimmed with toasted chopped hazelnuts, and topped with marbled chocolate shavings and whole toasted hazelnuts.
Toasted Hazelnut Dacquoise Cake Filling
Sometimes I also include discs of hazelnut dacquoise to the cake layers. I soak them with almond-flavored simple syrup, the combination of which adds a nutty, chewy dimension to the cake.
Making dacquoise is a great way to use up extra egg whites when you have them on hand. I make dacquoise from feel, without using a recipe but here is a similar type of recipe for a Hazelnut Almond Dacquoise. Note: even though not all recipes call for it, when including dacquoise inside of a cake, it’s best to soak the dried meringue heavily with flavored simple syrup.
Suggested Cake Filling Method
My preferred method for assembling layer cakes is to build them inside the baking pan. I recommend watching the videos and reading this entire tutorial on how to fill cakes in the pan.
New to Wicked Goodies? Start *HERE*