This recipe is one of many easy weeknight dinners
that can be baked in no time flat using whole wheat pita bread
, freshly baked or frozen. With a preheated 500° F
(260° C) oven, it only takes about five minutes to bake a pita pie to gooey, cheesey, toasty perfection. This recipe feeds one person as a main course or two people as a shared side or appetizer.
– 6” diameter homemade pita pocket bread, unopened
– ¼ cup pesto (I use homemade basil & parsley pesto)
– 1/3 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
– ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
– 3 pitted olives, cut in half
– 1 small wedge of red onion, cut into ½” pieces
– ½ large tomato, diced
– dash of ground pepper
– 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Step-by-Step Baking Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 500° F.
2. Spread the pesto on top of the pita pocket, leaving an exposed edge for just the crust.
3. Add all of the feta and half of the tomatoes and olives (sneaking toppings under the cheese = even more toppings).
4. Add the shredded mozzarella.
5. Add the onions and the remainder of the tomatoes and olives. Grind fresh pepper on top.
6. Insert the pizza (no pan) directly onto the middle rack of a preheated 500° oven. Bake for five minutes or until the cheese is just beginning to brown.
7. Remove the pizza from the oven. Drizzle the top with the extra virgin olive oil.
8. Slice the pie into wedges and serve immediately.
New to Wicked Goodies? Start *HERE*
As an Amazon associate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases at no cost to you.